Billie & Dede Pierce & Their Preservation Hall Jazz Band With George Lewis, Original Vintage 1967 German Concert Poster, Auditorium Maximum, [Hamburg], Jan. 29 1967, produced by Lippmann & Rau, designed by Gunther Kieser with his imprint to the right centre margin. A1 Format, 23.5” by 39” ( 59.7 cm. by 99 cm.); the poster has never been folded and is about near fine, with pin holes to corners, light tape residue to verso corners, touch of soiling and edge creasing, light ink stroke to photo at left top of the image.
The venerable New Orleans trumpeter, Dede Pierce and his wife, pianist and signer Billie, were pivotal figures in both waves of the traditional jazz revivalism movements of the late 40’s-50’s and 1960’s- early 70’s. In 1954 Pierce become blind and during the same period Billie was hospitalized with cancer, so that it appeared their musical careers were at an end.. However, Allan Jaffe, owner and manager of the traditional jazz mecca, Preservation Hall, was instrumental in reviving their fortunes and under his auspices Billie & Dede made their first and only European tour in January 1967, for which this concert poster was designed. The great NO clarinetist, George Lewis, was given equal billing as a member of their touring band, but shortly after arriving in Stuttgart, prior to the first concert, Lewis became ill and was forced to return the US and consequently never played on any of the European engagements. An uncommon Kieser poster with striking, bold graphics, designed exclusively for the German concert presentations. J1752